Monday, January 31, 2011
The picture frame is coming along slowly. I don't know if it's the Cherry or the way it's sawn relative to the grain on some of the pieces, but I'm having some trouble with chipping out. Part of the problem is that the joints I cut leave some very weak sections of end grain standing out there all alone, but it seems to be more fragile than it ought to be. I've chipped pieces off while initially sawing the joints, planing for width, and trying to cut the rabbet on the back to hold the glass and picture. I've glued all but one back on (I lost it), and I'm trying to figure out what to do about the missing one. I don't have enough to make a whole new stile, and trying to glue a patch on and cut it to fit didn't work out. I could bevel the whole outside of the frame, but I tried that on one of my test joints and I don't think it would look right with this frame.