Monday, August 01, 2011
Sorry for the gap in posting. We started to get down to the wire, working upwards of 12 hours each day, and I didn't have the energy or the particular inclination to get on to post. So I'm going to put up the last few days in one post.
We assembled one truss, got it upright and stabilized, then assembled and righted the other truss. The trick to these was making sure they went up on rollers on the timber track that some of the crew constructed earlier in the week. Once they were both up, we could install the tie beams with the knee braces, install the floor joists and decking, and finally install the rafters. We got the roof sheathed in 1x, and got some good bracing in place for the locals that will roof the bridge. All of this done, the riggers Grigg 2 and Grigg 3 prepared to roll the bridge over the falseworks and drop it in place. Stable on the rollers and rigged up to a Tirfor, a large winch-like device, it slowly crawled into place. It was jacked up, the falseworks removed (the timbers from which became a raft and a log rolling game for me and a few others), and it was settled into place on some Black Locust blocks.
Will Truax, professional bridgewright, trimming a joint with a Gransfors forest axe.
The Timber Framer's Guild, looking on.