Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Dovetail Transfer Trick

I learned this trick from one of Roy Underhill's books and I think it deserves to be spread around a bit.  This is the first time I've used it, because I usually forget until it's too late. 

You cut the tails first, then don't remove the waste.  Line up your boards and slip your saw into the kerfs, taking a couple of light strokes in each.  This is the most accurate (and foolproof) way that I know of to transfer dovetails.

In the photo I'm using a small modelmaker's saw, because the blade is thinner than my carcass saw, so there is no friction in the kerf (which can cause small movements in the top board).  You can just as easily do it with the saw you made the original cuts with, though, if you are careful to clamp the board down solidly. 

1 comment: